LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, July 4, 2011

The first step...

Today I'm taking the first step in a long journey to becoming healthy and, in turn, skinnier. All in all I have a pretty good life. I have an awesome family, a great career and my boyfriend and I have a wonderful relationship. However, I still feel as though there's something "wrong" for lack of a better word. I am unable to do the things my friends do like hike in the mountains that surround my town and take in the beautiful scenery (and in the process take part in another interest I have...photography). But all that is about to change. Recently I've had a couple wake up calls. My boyfriends dad (who to me seemed like a pretty healthy guy), underwent bypass surgery and my life insurance that I bought to protect my mortgage in the unfortunate event of untimely demise ended up costing me nearly 3 times what it should because of my build. I need to make a change and that change started today.

Along with diet changes that we've already started making but will continue to improve on, my boyfriend and I have started exercising. My boyfriend jokingly says he's going to be my Jillian (from the biggest loser) and definitely won't be a softie like Bob (also from the biggest loser). This evening we went for a walk together and standing at the bottom of the hill we were about to walk up I dreaded it, knowing the back of my legs and ass were going to burn and I was going to be hyperventilating...and it was still fairly hot out! My boyfriend set a goal of making it up to a dirt pile (about 1/2 way up a fairly steep and LONG hill)...and I pouted. But I made it!!! Yes my legs and ass were burning and I was hyperventilating but I did it! As we turned around to head back down I felt proud of myself, but also a little disappointed...How did I let myself get like this? Why is it so hard for me to walk up a hill? Why did I make the choices I have for the last how ever many years I have been making my own decisions? But there's nothing I can do about the past now...I can only go forward. So...I am proud of myself and my boyfriend says he is too!

So now I guess it's time to mention the goals...I plan on doing short term goals (a way of keeping myself motivated) as well as having long term goals. My first short term goal is to make it to the top of that damn hill!! Yes that may seem insignificant to most but I will be so proud of myself once I get there! And the first long term goal is to lose 40 lbs (the amount that my insurance company said I needed to lose to decrease my payment back to the normal amount). And once I get down that 40 lbs...VEGAS BABY!!!! My boyfriend and I will be jetting off to Las Vegas for a fun filled (and much needed) vacation.

My plan is to post progress pictures along with other photos taken along my walks (and eventually runs?), inspiring phrases/songs/pictures/etc and anything else that is relevant to my life. Thanks for comin' along for the ride!

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you for taking those first steps. You will never forget the moment you made it to the dirt pile and how you felt. Both the good and the bad, and when you are struggling later down the road, just think, I conquered the dirt pile, I can conquer anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started not long after you, its good knowing there is someone there at the same stages - forming the habits, changing diets...etc. Do you feel you have formed the habit now of regular activity (or just the habit of an overall diet exercise change)?

    astudentsjourneytohappiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete