LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Very Long (And Painful) 2kms

So I woke up this morning to very sore muscles. I didn't think it was that bad...then I stood up and realized that my legs weighed 600 lbs each, somebody ripped my arms out of their sockets and an elephant trampled on my chest! I was sooo grateful that today was Saturday and it was a niiice quiet day at work. I spent my day praying that nobody would fall cuz I knew I wouldn't have the strength to pick them up. But a nice quiet day it was (until the last half hour, but that's just the way it goes in nursing). I came home and did not feel like doing a damn thing. Soooo Subway for dinner it was. Oh and just so everybody knows, Baked Lays Creamy Dill is to die for. 130 calories, 3g fat and 1g fibre for one bag...sodium content ain't bad either.

Chris left for work and here I was all alone. I began rationalizing that I didn't need to go for a walk tonight because my body obviously needed a rest otherwise it wouldn't be in so much pain (and I swear if I hear "no pain no gain" from 1 more person I'm gonna punch them in the ear). However, I also know that some light exercise would get those muscles loosening up and I would feel better. Soooo...after an hour of procrastinating I went for a walk. I didn't push it, I just walked briskly. Took me about a half an hour to do 2kms. And I really do feel better (well my lower half does, the rest of me still feels like I got hit by a bus carrying an entire hockey team and their gear). So this leads me to my question of the day:

What do you ladies do when you feel sore and stiff after a workout (besides toughing it out and gentle exercise which I've done)? I don't like to take meds if I don't have to (yes I'm a nurse who believes the less meds the better!). I do plan on soaking in a very very hot bath in a few minutes as well...after I fold the 2 tons of laundry I've been putting off and carry it upstairs.

I do have a confession to make. My whole life I've been "the strong one". I can hold it together when everything is falling apart. Most of the time. Last night as I was laying on the floor and Jillian was telling me to push through the pain and not give up, I had a small breakdown. I wanted to know why it was so hard and why I couldn't just wake up and be thinner and healthier and then the negative self talk started "I'm always gonna be fat, this is pointless". The difference was how I dealt with this breakdown. I snapped out of it and carried on with my work out rather than drowning my sorrows in a bowl of ice cream or a bag of chips (which is what I liked to do when I was dealing with stress...is it any surprise that I gained a lot of weight while I was doing my Bachelor's degree?). Instead of raiding the cupboards, I typed a blog post. Yes it was a short one, but it was enough to remind me why I was doing this. It isn't for the hot body, it's for the health, for the ability to do the things that I can't right now, to be free. It reminded me that I'm not in this alone. There are my fellow bloggers that read these posts and provide encouragement, support and love. There is Chris, who loves me more than anything and never ceases to show me just how much (the man is working two 12-hour overtime shifts this week so that he can buy me my big fancy camera that I have wanted forever for when I lose my first 20 lbs. If that ain't love, I don't know what is). There is my family whom I love very much. My parents, especially my mom, is so supportive. I just truly hope she knows how much I love her. I think she does...I hope so.

I'm not in this thing alone. I have a ton of people that want to see me succeed. And I will. And I want all of you to know that I'm here for all of you should you stumble and need a helping hand.

On that note...Until next time!

xoxo

9 comments:

  1. Because of my knee surgery I have to take pain meds. SO I had to do that tonight after not taking my dose this morning (not a good idea after walking XD) but if I'm sore and not on meds I like to do some yoga and stretching. It gets the blood flowing without feeling like I was pushing it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree yoga is great for when your sore. You are so strong! The fact that you were able to pull yourself out of that and still make good decisions shows this is really your time to get healthy. I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are doing everything right....your mind is in the right place - and while no pain no gain is overused and annoying as shit - it has some validity to it. (OK - you can punch me now). LOL...The bath, the stretching and the gentle exercise after a hard core Jillian beating is a great idea. Your body will slowly begin to bounce back quicker and the pain will reduce. Just keep pushing on and know that your cheerleaders are here for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. STRETCHING!! That's one thing I used to never do before working out and I would end up a stiff, immobile person the next day. Take at least 10 minutes to stretch prior to taking on 'Youbitch' hill and then 10 minutes after you get home. It will help keep your muscules from getting wound up so tight!

    I know you said you don't like meds but if I have done a ton of working out, etc, I sometimes take one ibuprofen with 16oz water before bed. I haven't done it in years but it can help if you're really, really sore! The NSAID reduces inflammation and the extra water will go toward helping the muscles to bounce back faster!!

    Also last night i was reading some of your older posts and I am pretty sure we were seperated at birth! I have PCOS too and that's one of my major motivators for losing weight. I want to have kids! Not to mention, nursing school is when I put on a ton of weight. Have to console yourself somehow with all the stress and pressure and food was my outlet too!

    Keep up the great work! You CAN do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I drink a protein shake everyday. you need the extra protein in your diet to keep your muscles from breaking down and to build them up. because like jillian constantly says - "the more muscles you have the more calories you burn. the more calories you burn the more fat you lose" and i do notice on days when i dont drink the protein and forget about it or somehting.. i am more sore the next day or so. but i also make sure i do my warm ups and dont ever skip them. yoga stretches are also really nice. swimming is something that helps too.

    as for the breakdown mid-workout, ive definitely done this a time or two but always kept going. I think its something about jillian and how she puts it. i can't put my finger on what it is. some days i love her. other days i hate her. lol. but in the end the results are there so yay. lol.

    also though.. something else jillian says something like - if you only push until it hurts and then stop, you arent doing a damn thing for yourself. you have to keep pushing through all that pain and that is the moment you can feel your body making changes to itself. I like to keep that in mind every time i start to hurt so bad i wanna give up and it immediately perks me up to know that if i just keep going that few more reps or seconds or whatever.. then i am actually 'feeling the burn' and changing the way my body should be working for the better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! You are definitely starting to wrap your mind around this and get in the game where you need to be. It's SO difficult, it takes a while to get in the pattern of change.

    PS - I love your 30 by 30 list, that's a big part of my whole blog is mine but I focus a lot on my weight loss journey. The blogging community has been great.

    I am so looking forward to seeing how you go through this journey, we're in it together. Our starting numbers are very close, by the way. You can do it!

    http://missapril-30before30.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've already gotten some good advice. I'll just ditto your taking a hot bath. I have Fibromyalgia and sometimes it's the only thing that helps a sore body. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly how you feel with working out and not being able to do some of the workout. I have tried Jillian Michaels and losts of others and I feel like I need to loose more weight in order to do the workout. I know when I am sore I have my husband message me. :) He used to play football when he was younger so he tells me all about what I have to do. Good lucK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, we have all been there! Good for you for not resorting to old, unhealthy patterns.

    If I'm honest-to-goodness to sore to workout, I would probably just go for a walk. However, mostly I just exhaust myself with my workouts. If I'm truly too tired, I just take the day off. I work out 4 days out of the week, so that gives me 3 days to rest.

    ReplyDelete