LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Anniversaries

Good morning everybody,

Today is a bittersweet day for me.

The sweet is that it's Chris and I's 2 year anniversary. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BABE. I love you with all my heart. You have given me the best 2 years of my life and I am happier than I ever thought I'd be. You mean the world to me.

The bitter, of course, is the anniversary of 9/11 (in hindsight, we could have picked a better day to go on our first date haha). I know all of us remember where we were that fateful day. I was at home in bed (because I live in western Canada it was very early in the morning). My brother burst into my bedroom and yelled at me "The states is under attack! The states is under attack!". Me being 15 years old didn't listen to him and screamed at him to get out of my room. Then I heard my mom in the living room yelling at me to get up. In my groggy state I began to comprehend what they were saying and I jumped up and ran into the living room and sat down just in time to watch the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower. I sat there in disbelief. How could this happen? And why? Questions were buzzing through my head. We watched the news coverage and watched that plane crash again and again and again, still in shock and not understanding the full impact of what had just happened. I got ready for school and by the time I got there the severity of the attacks was revealed. By that time all 4 planes had crashed and the towers had collapsed. Our teachers put classwork aside, brought in TVs and all we did was watch the coverage and discuss what this means in a world today. I don't think we ever understood the impact that 9/11/01 would have.

Now as we look back 10 years later, I'm still in disbelief that the attacks happened. That on a clear and crisp September morning, thousands of people lost their lives, their parents, their sons, their daughters, and for what? And then the ensuing war where thousands more were lost. It's just unfathomable that a few hours on 1 day, caused so much heartache.

As a member of the medical community as well as having a father who is a firefighter, paying respects to those who were lost is important to me. And I hope that you will all join in with me and observe a moment of silence today and take time to remember the sacrifices that soldiers made over seas, as well as the innocent people who passed away on 9/11.



Thank you Photobucket for the image

And I'll leave you with a song by Garth Brooks.

4 comments:

  1. What a great tribute! I have definitely taken many moments, not just today but often throughout the year to remember what happened and what an impact it had on our country - and really, the world. I used to work in NYC so those towers were such a familiar sight and then in an instant, they were gone.
    While this is a day marked with sadness - happiness should be recognized too - so happy anniversary! Is it your wedding anniversary or dating anniversary? Either way - hope you have a great day together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a bittersweet date for you. First and foremost -- happy anniversary to the both of you. :)

    And what is there to be said about 9-11 that hasn't already been said. *sigh* :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was only 6 and would be turning 7 in a week. I don't remember that day what so ever. I have no idea why but I don't.

    ReplyDelete