LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Half Way There!!

I wasn't going to blog today because I didn't do much on the exercise front...unless you count shovelling snow off our driveway...then going back to chisel off the 2" thick ice that formed on Chris's side of the driveway because when we got 16" of snow the other day, we didn't bother shovelling it when we finally got both cars IN the driveway because that was hard enough work...and cleaning my house like a mad woman because my mother is coming on Saturday for my birthday.

So why the change of heart? Tonight at 10pm I decided that I was going to do C25K for 2 reasons. One, obviously because I wanted to, and two, because Chris wanted to play his video game because new maps came out and apparently that's a really big deal haha. So while he was busy hogging the TV, I got busy. I completed W4D3 and am now officially half way to finishing the C25K program. Who would have thought that a little less than 4 weeks ago the girl who could barely run for 1 minute straight, would now be half way to finishing a running program? I honestly wasn't sure I would but now I'm determined and I'm sure as hell not gonna let anything stop me!

Now for my issue. Every single time I run, I get a stitch in my side. It comes on after running for about 4 minutes straight, then subsides during the walk interval, then appears after a couple minutes in the next run interval. I can't seem to make it stop! I stretch, make sure I'm well hydrated, and it's still there every single time. Does anybody else have this issue, and if so...how the hell do you get it to stop!!!!? Chris says stretch but if I bend sideways trying to stretch out my intercostal muscles anymore I might never get stood up straight again. I massage it while I'm running and that helps a little but definitely doesn't take it away. Any help would definitely be appreciated!

Hope everybody had a great leap day...Did you do anything special with the extra 24 hours we got today?

13 comments:

  1. I have this issue two in high school when I didn't weigh so much as started running with other girls in the band it went away after a while I don't really know why. If you find a way to prevent it please let me know! It's hard enough to make myself run because my knees hurt and I get so out of breath one less thing to hinder me would be great! And by any chance is your husband playing call of duty because I play with my hubs sometimes and maps did just come out for that heheh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes he is playing COD: MW3...I didn't realize that it was such a big deal, but apparently I was wrong.

      If you were wanting to get back into running I highly suggest the C25K program. It's awesome. I always look ahead and go "there's no way I can do that!" but I do. I'm suprising myself every day and it's actually quite fun to do!

      Delete
  2. ..for future reference I will reread my post before submitting hahah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's called a "side stitch", pretty common thing in new runners or people training in running activities. I get it to when I'm really pushing myself to try to run faster. It has to do with the way we breathe while running. I found this short article helpful.

    http://mbc.wrytestuff.com/swa344624.htm

    Keep up the great work! After finishing my first 5k, I didn't run the whole thing, but I'm looking forward to doing another and trying to run it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you :) Don't you guys have a deal that any time you commit to exercise he has to pay back by putting down the video games? Hope you cash in on it because you earned it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had the 'runner's stitch' before as well, it goes away and I have read it's harmless and quite common.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two things to help prevent a side stitch...
    1. make sure you are not eating too soon before going for a run...try to eat at least an hour before running
    2. (and this really helped me) Find a breathing pattern that works for you. For me...I take one deep breath in and two shorter ones out. For my cousin, she takes two breaths in and three out...it is just figuring out what works for you. Once you practice it enough you will find that you will take your breaths automatically like that and you wont have to concentrate on the rhythm anymore and not only will it prevent side stitches but you will find that you will be able to run further. (my cousin gave me that tip and her running coach from High School gave it to her). I hope that helps you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't...usually when I do, I just dig my fingers pretty deep/hard into the place that hurts, and keep on running..usually it just loosens up from that.
    You're doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had this problem during C25K too. I learnt that I need to wait 2 hours after eating and I found a breathing pattern that really works for me. My breathing is probably one beat in, three beats out and I find a stitch develops if I am breathing differently. I think this is a really personal thing.
    Congratulations on being halfway done, I am so happy you are finding more success with it this time around. PLUS I didn't mention it the other day but your progress pictures are wonderful and you are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pretty lady! You're looking fabulous yourself!

      Delete
  9. Thanks everybody for your advice. I will definitely try to work on my breathing pattern. I'm pretty good about not eating in the couple hours before running, but being new to this running thing I definitely think I need some practice on breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm new to running too and have had this problem myself. My runner friends gave me a solution that has been working. If when you feel it starting if you lift your arms (like in a 'stick it up' posture) it opens up your chest and lessens the stitch until it goes away. Since you have a treadmill you're lucky - I do this outside, in my neighborhood, thundering down the road with my neighbors looking at me like I'm crazy! But I will say it does work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was told by our national health service that a good way to get rid of a stitch is to take a big breath but push your stomach out at the same time, then when you exhale, just relax your stomach. Do this repeatedly until the stitch goes. I found that once I got used to doing it (because it does feel weird especially when you're running), it actually worked for me. So it might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete