LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, February 23, 2012

W4D1 - Something Weird Happened...

So I've reached the infamous week 4 of the C25K program...It's the week that will either make it or break it...Unfortunately break it isn't an option for me and make it I will. The first 3 weeks consisted of 2 days that were the same then the final day you would advance a little...this week you advance every single workout. My body was screaming "uh oh! I'm not ready for this"...but I had a sneeking suspision that it was just being lazy because on Tuesday I worked 3-11, slept for 5 hours, worked 7-3 on Wednesday, didn't have a great sleep last night, got up at 5 and worked 7-3 again. So run I did! I ran my longest interval so far (4 minutes!). It wasn't that long ago that I struggled through the 1 minute run. I can't believe I let myself get that unfit...especially seeing I was really into sports as a teenager. Anyways, I was doing my first 4 minute run interval and was struggling, the talk in my head saying "what the hell are you're doing, you're too fat to do this!", my legs felt like lead, and I looked down and I was only 2 minutes into the interval. I took a deep breath, swore and kept running...and then something weird happened that I'd never experienced before. I kinda spaced out listening to the music and settled into the run and before I knew it, the little dude said "walk" and it kind of caught me by surprise. I couldn't believe I was done. Yes I was breathing harder, but I wasn't gasping for breath like I was on W1D1. I think we can call that a win. However, I do need to figure out how I did it because the other run intervals took an eternity to go by, and I was aware of every single second that ticked by.

Today I was just exhausted and really didn't feel like working out but when you're my weight, skipping a workout is NOT an option. Rest days are different and necessary, but today I had PLANNED on working out and I knew I couldn't just blow it off. I created a schedule for a reason. To hold myself accountable. If I had just said "screw it" and not exercised like I was supposed to, those pieces of paper would mean nothing. I'm super proud of myself for completing my workout and progressing onto W4. I can remember thinking that there'd be no way I'd be able to do this and that I would have to repeat many weeks. Several of the awesome bloggers on here encouraged me to at least attempt a run before thinking I couldn't do it. I'm glad I listened. I may never have known I'd be capable of doing this. I'm sure I would have given up already, because that's what I did when things got hard. Not anymore. Not anymore.

6 comments:

  1. Hey! Thats a NSV if ever I've seen one.. I have yet to be able to get into that 'zone' while running and I wish I could so bad. I just spend every minute hating what I'm doing. It just may not be for me but you've gotten past that and I'm really proud. Keep it up and please keep updating us :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Taryn! Way to push through - keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amaizng work! That is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I've just come across your blog. One of my friends is doing c25k and I'm hoping to start it after I finish my current workout programme. I'm pretty scared because I've never been able to run! I'm looking forward to reading how you get on with it.. good luck and keep up the good work :) Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be scared. It's a gradual program that allows you to progress slowly. The biggest thing is to not feel like you're failing if you have to repeat a day, or even a week. As long as you get there, who cares how long it took!

      Delete
  5. That's fantastic! When I did C25K, I found that I could do the runs quite easily if I got into some kinda spaced out mind frame. Unfortunately the times I couldnt get into the zone meant it became such a struggle. The key for me was to try and relax as much as possible and your brain goes into auto-pilot.

    ReplyDelete