LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Friday, May 4, 2012

Burn Baby Burn!

...and I'm talking about those calories! Today was one of those days where I felt like I could take on the world. I had an awesome (but busy!) day at work. I was run off my feet but everything went right for a change. I felt like I made a real difference in the lives of a couple of my residents AND their families. And when you have 92 residents under your supervision, it's often easy to be too busy to have the moments that mean so much to them, because literally there are about a MILLION things I can be doing at any time. Also, while I was on my lunch break, I got a phone call in regards to a job that I applied for to supplement my income a tad to perhaps take a little bit of the financial stress off me. I'm going to talk to the lady more in depth on Tuesday. Basically, if I decide to take the job and we're able to work things out so that I can keep my original job as well as add this second one, I will be providing 1 on 1 nursing care to a 4 month infant who is very sick. Chris and I figured out that if I'm able to work a couple extra shifts every week, I can probably pay off my student loan in 1 year. ONE YEAR!

When Chris left for work, I went down to get on the treadmill to get my workout in. And get my workout in I did. I honestly don't think my treadmill has seen that high of a calorie burn in over a month. And I totally felt like I could go longer but I was expecting a phone call from my mother...who consequently texted me and told me she was going to have a nap before calling me...and I wanted to make sure my honey got to work alright (he did). I powered through W1D2 of C25K and felt amazing. I barely had a hint of a side stitch and I recovered well in the walk intervals. I burned over 300 calories in 30 minutes. That felt GREAT.

I also want to share with you some quotes from the email I received today. It's from a woman who has recently stumbled upon my blog and decided to email me. She journals online, but hasn't yet taken the step to blogging (but if you're reading this, I highly encourage blogging, the interaction and support you receive through this community is amazing!!!!). She writes that she's also currently on a weight loss mission and like most of us, feels she has the "tools" and the know how to lose weight, but struggles with the execution. There is so much truth in that statement. We all know HOW to lose weight, it's really not rocket science (more calories out than in, eat less - move more), but if it were that easy, none of us would be overweight. There are so many emotions behind weight and weight loss. It is very hard to get motivated when as an overweight/obese person we're told on a regular basis that we're not good enough. We're not good enough to shop in the same stores as smaller people, we're not "normal" we're "plus sized", there are so many stereotypes.

There are lots of things we, as overweight/obese people, have to think and worry about that never even cross the mind of smaller people. We have to worry about fitting in the booth seat on that first date, the seatbelt in an airplane fitting around us, a busy supermarket is a obstacle course of buggies and people that you will inevitably brush up against while trying to "sneak by" and god forbid there are plastic chairs at the family gathering we're attending. Some people just don't understand that every day has a socially awkward and embarrassing moment in it, even if it's only in our heads.

The email goes on to thank me for "putting myself out there" on my blog, and telling me that I'm inspiring. I often forget that the words I put out on the internet are read by many more people than those that comment on my blog, or even have a blog themselves. It's truly touching to know that by reading through my story, I have inspired somebody to "get their mojo back". I just want to wish this wonderful (and beautiful!!! She sent me a picture) woman good luck on her journey.

Finally, I'm posting the lyrics and a YouTube video of a song that played at the very end of my workout today. It's about a hopeless person (me) who realizes that there are reasons to keep fighting through the dark times. Certainly seems to be something we can all relate to. Enjoy.


4 comments:

  1. I hate the friggin' white plastic chairs. I should fit it them better this summer.

    Paying your school loan off in a year? That would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I broke one at my inlaws last summer (after I'd already lost about 15-20lbs)...sooooo embarassing.

      Delete
  2. wow O__O it seemed like you worked out a lot today! :) Congrat! :) Now.. that get ready for the REAL BURN! >:) when your muscle become sore, it's gonna burnn.. :) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 minutes of working out isn't actually that much at all...it was high intensity though...Good news...no muscle stiffness...The trick is a good stretch post run :)

      Delete