LilySlim Weight loss tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Altered Perceptions

Today while at work I had quite the interesting chat with a care aid in the lunch room. As I was munching away on my apple she proudly displayed her healthy lunch of a spinach salad with strawberry vinegarette...then proceeded to purchase a coke (the big ones that a equivalent to 2 cans, a bag of cheezies and a chocolate bar. In that one meal she managed to consume more calories than I'd eaten in my breakfast AND lunch. She justified that by saying that she hadn't eaten anything yet, and that for supper she would only have a small sandwich for dinner. I said that I stick to 1600 calories per day, and she said she would probably "land around there" too. My quick math says that there was about 1000 calories in that and even if she was to only consume 600 more calories...what kind of nutritional value was there? Society is so screwed up when it comes to diet and calories.

Now I'm not saying I will never eat a chocolate bar or cheezies or chips again, or that I will never drink pop again...probably not 3 in the same sitting, mind you...but what really bothered me was her attitude of "I'm still going to eat only 1600 calories and the weight will just fall off (she had previously told me she wants to lose 50lbs). Sure losing weight is part of my goal...but most importantly I want to be healthy. And to be healthy we need proper nutrition. I don't know, perhaps I'm being a little critical but I just wanted to shake my head and smack her in the head.

Do your co-workers/friends make shitty decisions with food then bitch about their weight? If so how do you stop yourself from going into full on lecture mode?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and yes. I have a particular co-worker that knows I am on my journey to lose weight and often comes over to complain over how hard it is. This would be fine except a) she doesn't exercise. b) I see her bring in McDonalds for breakfast at least 3 times a week and c) she drinks a coke for lunch every single day AND I have never seen her eat a salad or vegetable. EVER. I don't call that trying to lose weight or being healthy. She knows what she is doing is wrong, but she doesn't really want to change so why waste my time helping someone who doesn't want to change? .. Vent over... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SO hard to see people who should know better but choose not to do better. I haven't had the issue so much with co-workers as friends and family, but it's just as tough. It's hard because we know how tough it is for ourselves and we want to help the people we care about find the same healthy life. Remember, though, when you were starting out on your own journey. People can say what they want, preach the truth as loud as they can - but ultimately, it's your own personal "rock bottom" or revelation that gets things going. Sooner or later, your coworker will figure out what is best for her, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lady I sit next to 69 (but looks and acts much younger). She is always on a different diet, at least for a couple of days! I don't say anything. I figure that in the end, the results will be the judge and if they really want to change, they will ask what you have been doing that works!

    ReplyDelete